PVHS Winter Concert 2019

PVHS Winter Concert 2019

Jessica Tran, Staff Writer

Before the winter break, December 19, 2019, Pinole Valley High School held a Winter Holiday Concert in the PVHS beautiful new theatre where the Concert, Symphonic, and Jazz band all performed.

Each band played several songs. The last two songs that the symphonic band played were “In Flight” and “Sleigh Ride”, which left everyone in the theatre, amazed and definitely in the holiday spirit! After the Symphonic band finished up, it was the Jazz band’s turn to wow the crowd, they played “Red Clay” and ended the night with “Spain”. Claps and cheers were heard throughout the theatre while the Jazz Band had solos.

After each band had finished performing, the theatre echoed with the audience applauding for their wonderful performances.

I had the honor of speaking to Sophia Cabrera, who played the flute/piccolo in the symphonic band and the flute in the jazz band performance. Sophia said, “It was a wonderful experience, finally hearing what the band sounded like in the theatre with a full house. It filled my heart with joy and I can’t wait for the upcoming performances in our theatre.”

Erik Radkiewicz, the PVHS band instructor and teacher, entertained the audience by talking to the guests and told jokes while behind the stage curtains each band was busy setting up their instruments. Another way that the crowd was kept entertained while the Jazz band was setting up its instruments was a raffle that the audience could participate in by writing their names down and putting them in a jar for a chance to win a gift basket of sweets and prizes. Many participated in the raffle, but only a few lucky people took home a gift basket.