The Student News Site of Pinole Valley High School

Spartan Ink

Spartan Ink

Spartan Ink

Polls

Would you say you have a changed a lot during quarantine?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Genocide in Palestine

Kleiman, Kibby

I am pretty sure we’re all very aware of what’s happening in Palestine. There is a lot of misinformation that goes around which can impact someone’s perspective. I will try my best to give you the most accurate information I can get my hands on. 

The most basic statement I can give is; There is a Genocide happening in Gaza to Palestinians. Children and adults alike. Humans. Being murdered because of territory. Even when I say it, it’s extremely hard to believe.

In order to really understand what’s happening, let’s start at the beginning of the Israel-Palestine conflict (which has been going on for quite some time). “The Israeli-Palestinian conflict dates back to the end of the nineteenth century. In 1947, the United Nations adopted Resolution 181, known as the Partition Plan, which sought to divide the British Mandate of Palestine into Arab and Jewish states.”1  Palestine was under British control as part of the Ottoman empire. In 1948 Israel was created and declared as a state. The creation of Israel is what sparked the start of this long, intricate, and detrimental war between the states. 

The first war that was sparked ended with a “win” by Israel, and 750,000 Palestinians being displaced from their homes. This is when the Palestinian-Israeli territory was separated into 3 areas: The State of Israel, the West Bank, and the Gaza Strip (where most of the current violence takes place.) In 1987 thousands of Palestinians stood against the Israeli government. Then in 1993 the first Oslo Accords was passed which was meant to mediate the conflict and “set the framework”1  for Palestinians to govern themselves in Gaza and the West Bank. The second Oslo Accords stated that Israel should remove their occupation from a handful of cities and 450 towns. 

Hamas, which is a political and militant movement inspired by the Palestinian Muslim Brotherhood, gained control of the Gaza Strip. In 2014 Hamas fired nearly 3 thousand rockets at Israel to which Israel retaliated. This was ended by a cease-fire deal from Egypt. 73 Israelis and 2,251 Palestinians were killed before this deal was proposed. In 2021, a court ruled in favor of the eviction of Palestinian families from east Jerusalem properties. 

The recent war that is happening between Palestine and Israel was started because the leaders of Hamas decided they wanted to retaliate against Israel, who took this as a way to start a Palestinian genocide. Yes Hamas did kill innocents, and there is no excuse for it. But so has Israel, and they are the only ones not facing backlash and hate for their actions. Each side believes that they own the land they both reside on. Each side wants what they believe is “their land.” Each side is at fault, but innocents don’t have to be punished and murdered because of it. 

This War/internal conflict has been going on for a very long time and caused thousands if not millions of people to lose their lives, homes, and families. There is a lot of information out there that can cloud your judgment. I have given you the most basic information that I myself can grasp. Believe me when I say that both sides are guilty of something, and sadly Israel has taken it too far and believe that Palestinians should not have the land they are entitled to. 

Cites 

1. https://www.cfr.org/global-conflict-tracker/conflict/israeli-palestinian-conflict 
  2. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/27/palestine-and-israel-brief-history-maps-and-charts 

https://www.un.org/unispal/history/