Employability Class

Pinole Valley High School employability class students have been working at the church across the street from their school.

William Amaya

William Amaya, Staff Writer

For PVHS students with IEPs, Employability Class 1 and 2 are available for them in room 84. In the class, these six seniors are participating in work internships in order to gain experience. The experience gained will be used in building a detailed resume and portfolio. This will further distinguish them in the job market.

During fifth and sixth period on Fridays, the class’ job site is the Pinole Valley Community Church. Here there are seven different tasks to perform, with a rotation system for every member to gain the full experience. Among these tasks are painting rooms and sanitizing children rooms for Sunday school usage. The church’s pastor is very appreciative of their work.

Thursdays and Mondays, the students are in the textbook room where they help Ms. Jackson, who has been impressed with their fast work and its quality. Half of the kids would check the laptops for total functionality. The rest of the students pack books for the new school.

While the jobs are very different, both job sites have the same structural rules. The students must follow directions and follow a dress code. The code prohibits certain clothing and is dependant on the job site; for example, sandals are forever prohibited.

Currently, there is no Wednesday job, but that could change in the near future. Mr. Lazaro, their teacher, is negotiating with Cookie Dough Parlor on Pinole Valley Road near Sprouts. It is a “Buzzy, colorful sweet shop scooping ice cream & several flavors of fresh, safe-to-eat cookie dough.” While they wouldn’t receive pay, if the manager likes their work, they could be offered a job.