Boys Tennis Season Preview

Photo by Elizabeth Johnston, Staff Writer/Photographer.

Coach Kurt on the courts for boys’ tennis team practice.

Elizabeth Johnston, Staff Writer

Last Thursday, I had the opportunity to talk with the coach of Pinole Valley’s tennis teams. Coach Kurt has been playing tennis since he was 15 and has won multiple championship titles, so we know that he’s the best man for the job.

The entire team is very enthusiastic for the season, and they are committing most of their afternoons to the sport. Many former players, myself included, are returning to the courts, and the coach’s wife, a competitive player for the United States Tennis Association, comes by four days a week to help prepare the team for their season.

I asked how he feels about the team lineup this year and the likelihood of a championship title. “(Our toughest opponent this year) is probably El Cerrito, but we never know. I have some quick-learning ninth graders, but they’re up against some kids that have probably been playing since they were six, so it’s going to be tough. We’ll have to just wait and see.”

The best part about his job? “The best part is when somebody wins a championship. Then I really feel like I accomplished something. You know, I like it when people meet their potential, but especially when someone wins a championship. It doesn’t happen very often, so it’s kinda special. You have to work really hard and be really coachable. What I call coachable, to do that. They have to be willing to try different things and work on their weaknesses, which aren’t fun to work on, and when you do that you can be a much better player.”

The rain has been a struggle for them, as the courts they use by the Pinole library aren’t covered, and a wet tennis ball won’t bounce. The rain is supposed to clear out of the forecast soon, so they will be able to make the most of their preseason without worrying about the weather.

When I asked what advice he has for his players this season, he replied with “Keep your eye on the ball or the ball will be on your eye.” Sage advice, coach!

You can come support the boys at their home games on Tuesdays and Thursdays, at the Pinole Library across the street from campus.