Spartan Football Team Lights Up the Field

Gina Gallia, Staff Writer

Pinole Valley’s JV and Varsity football teams shined bright at their first home game of this season. The home bleachers were packed with fans dressed in black for the “Lights On – Black Out” themed game. As soon as the Spartans stepped onto the field, it was game over for the Monarchs from Mt. Eden High School. JV won by the score of 26-6 and Varsity definitely kept the momentum going, scoring a whopping 42 points with quarterback Damari Davis (senior) rushing for 106 yards and 2 touchdowns. Powerhouse Teonnie Johnson, Jr., played a major role on the defensive side of the ball picking up 11 tackles to help shut down Mt. Eden. The defense only allowed the Monarchs to score 16 points the entire game, leaving them with no opportunity to catch up with the mighty Spartans.

The Spartan fans went crazy when the players burst through the “Lights On Black Out” banner right before the start of the game. The team was full of spirit and momentum from their 2-0 record, ready to make it 3-0 by the end of the night adding to the electric atmosphere. Player #4, Lavazia Robinson (senior), commented on the team’s atmosphere on the field saying, “Oh man we were fired up for this game and it was epic!” Adding to that, a teacher from Pinole Valley, Johnny Hein, commented on the atmosphere off the field saying “It was absolutely crazy! I should have worn earplugs because it was so loud, but I loved it.” Good tip, Mr.Hein. The football team wasn’t the only powerhouse for the fans at Pinole Valley on Friday night. The cheerleaders looked and sounded great leading to the ongoing excitement. Jazmin Duenas (freshman) who was totally shocked by the halftime show said, “They looked so good!! I can’t believe how on point they were!” So kudos to all the teams for the amazing night! We can’t wait for more.

All in all, it was a great Friday night for Pinole.  If you weren’t at the game, be sure and make it to the next one on September 8th to watch the spirited Spartans take on the Alhambra Bulldogs at home! If it’s anything like this last game, it’s definitely one you won’t want to miss.

That’s how we roll in Pinole this football season!

All photography by Natalie Elischer