Spartan Baseball Gets Their First WIn

Deven Irwin, Staff Writer

This week the Spartan baseball team played a home game against Deer Valley High School. The Spartans had their ace, Dominic Pipkin, on the mound this Wednesday and were seeking their first win of the season. The team was sitting with a 0-2-1 record and was eager to grab this first win.

The first inning looked very promising for the Spartans as they got the first two outs with ease. Deer Valley was able to gather some hits and would eventually score two runs later in the inning.

The bats seemed very quiet for the Spartans in the first couple innings as they were able to have runners on but failed to score them in. Deer Valley seemed very in control of this game at this point as they lead 3-0. Pipkin would leave the game after 5 innings with 10 strikeouts.

In the bottom of the fifth, Pipkin came up to bat and gave the team a boost with a solo homerun and gave the team more confidence and the score became 4-1.

Due to shortage of sunlight the team was down to their last at-bats. They were able to rally with runners in scoring position and a chance to tie the game. With Sophomore Jacob Cambell at the plate and the tying run at third with two outs the Spartans were one hit away. Cambell would deliver that game-tying hit and the team was able to get bases loaded once again and score with a bases loaded walk.

The team was able to complete the game and get the three final outs to secure their first win of the season. Their next game is on the road as they play San Marin High School. Go Spartans!