Cross Country Season starts off Fast!

Nataliah Cornejo, Sports Writer

Those not pictured in the last photo (left to right) : Tristen Williams, Walter Clark, Robert Rojas, Jeden Banks
Jessica Carvahlo with her second medal of the year!

The Pinole Valley Cross Country team is no stranger to the punishment that most other sports teams endure – running laps. Trust me when I say that XC is no joke! Though, through hard work and determination, the finish line gets less intimidating with every run. 

Through weeks of rigorous practice and help from the newly appointed captains Nataliah Cornejo (that’s me!), Celina Armenta, and Daniel Martinez, our cross country team has risen to new heights. We also finally have help from our new Coach on board to help us hone our skills to the max after years without one. 

A coach can only do so much for them; it’s often also up to the captains to get the team motivated and on the right track for success. Coach Sam commented this Thursday about the effect strong leadership has on a team: “Without the help from Celina and Nataliah, I would have been in real trouble (with handling the team).” 

Our first league meet on Thursday, September 29th at Point Pinole showed just how much consistency and dedication matters in a sport. Honorable mentions include Adrian Delgado came in sixteenth for varsity boys; our speediest boy! Keep up the good pace! Celina Armenta, who just recently came off of a long standing injury, ran out in a meet for the first time since last year this week and took the top placement for our school in JV girls. 

The BE The G.O.A.T. invitational meet on Saturday, October 4th was also a success for PV. Jessica Carvalho, a new freshman on the team, won back to back medals in her last two invitational meets, this time for being in the top ten finishers in JV girls. We are definitely keeping our eyes on her in the years to come. David Vervoza is also moving up, getting the top PV sophomore placement in today’s race, as well as Thursday’s.

Stay tuned for more news! Our sport is your sport’s punishment: cross country!

Saturday, October 1st 2022 – BE the G.O.A.T. Invitational meet. Pictured (left to right) Adrian Delgado, Nataliah Cornejo, Daniel Martinez, Kayla Lam, Alex Anzaldo, Randy Snook, Humberto Boaventura, Dorian Kula, Samantha Villa, Celina Armenta, Nicholas Levesque, Daniel Armenta, Tyler Paguia, Julian Parra