Spartan Ink

Movie Review: The Commuter

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movie Review: The Commuter

Natalie Elischer, Staff writer

The Commuter Movie Review

Soundtrack

A

There weren’t any recognizable songs, but there also wasn’t anything to complain about. All the music was composed by Roque Baños, and it managed to help with the pacing of the scenes. Basically, the music did its job.

Action

A+

Liam Neeson might be sixty five years old, but that doesn’t mean he is isn’t able to kick your butt. They shaved five years off of him for his character in the movie, probably trying to make the story more realistic. Liam Neeson doesn’t care about realistic, this guy is a one man army. If you like action movies, congrats, you just found your new adventure.

Plot

B+

Okay, don’t get me wrong, the plot was awesome. It was about morality, how far would you go to protect your family, or even total strangers? Was it sometimes predictable? Yeah, a hundred percent, but honestly, who cares? It was a fun movie, and sometimes that’s all you need. The only thing I can’t ignore is that it’s pretty much just Non-Stop on a train instead of an airplane. Still, both movies are good in my book. Plus it was left a little open ended, with just enough room for a sequel. Who doesn’t love a good “will-they, won’t-they?”

Characters

A

The characters weren’t outstanding, but you end up caring for them. You don’t want anything to happen to them, which is exactly what you want in an action movie. Lone-wolf stories are cool, but supporting characters can also support the film. It’s the sense of camaraderie that gets passed onto the audience that gets the adrenaline pumping. Michael, the main character, is also charming and relatable middle-class working man trying to support his family. “On behalf of the American middle class, f*** you.” Golden.

Overall

A

The Commuter is an action movie with a half-baked mystery thrown in, but you eat it up anyways and smile because dang it, they tried. And also, reflecting on it, it didn’t taste all that bad. The cinematography was pretty good, and my mind goes back to the ticket scene in particular, you’ll know it when you see it. The only scene that bothered me was the beginning, when Michael’s everyday commute was shown through splices of different days sewn together. It was confusing, and it took awhile for me to understand what was going on. Other than that I can’t complain. I came to see Liam Neeson beat some people up and deliver some piping hot justice and that’s what I received. I’m a little more cautious on Bart now, though.

About the Writer
Natalie Elischer, Staff Writer

My name is Natalie Elischer and I'm a junior at Pinole Valley High. I am sixteen and am in my third year of the Law Academy. Worried about potentially...