Places In The Bay-De Young Museum

Rose Figueroa, Staff Writer

“The de Young is a fantastic journey through the world of the visual arts.”-Yelp Review critique. With an outstanding 4.6 star rating on Google Reviews the De Young Museum never fails to leave me in pure awe.

Pricing: 

The price to get into the museum itself is fairly reasonable. If you fall under the categories such as a child, student, or senior citizen you gain the benefit of having a discount.

Ticket Information:

• Members: Free (Different Packets)
  • Adults: $15
  • Seniors (65+): $12
  • Students (w/ valid ID): $6
  • Youth and Children (17 and under): Free

Food Court:

I found the food court to be a little expensive for the food I was recieving. Many items were very small and average, nothing really stood out to me. It fell somewhat short to me. I would recommend going out to eat somewhere else instead if you are searching for better and more reasonably priced food. The city is filled with much better food!

Art:

“Wow” is about the only word that comes to my mind when I think of the amazing art inside of this museum. There are different levels throughout the museum that show the different eras of art and the history behind each piece. As someone personally who enjoys understanding the history through art pieces I was very leased to find all the research and time this museum puts into each and every piece they hang up.

ERA 1: Mayan/Aztec

These featured pieces of art were preserved from an estimated A.D. 600. The pots show hieroglyphics which are still being studied for their meanings. The jade artifacts maintain many intricate and precise designs that leave many mysteries for Historians and people all over.

ERA 2: Navajo Weaving

Navajo weavers trace their origins as far back to the believed legend of “Spider-Woman.” Weavers share that the art of weaving was brought to them by Spider-Woman and has remained a sacred part of their Culture. These blankets were meant to capture not only Cultural traditions, but also indivisually express the woman creating the art.

ERA 3: Masks

Apparatuses used to create the masks: Human skulls, feathers, and beads. Yes, you read that correctly, human skulls. These traditional masks were used to commemorate ancestors that passed away.

ERA 4: A LITTLE MORE MODERN…KINDA

A breath taking sculpture.

A modern day Selfie.

ERA 5: Propaganda