Spartan Ink

Math Helpers

Numbers
Numbers

Numbers

Sashkin - Fotolia

Sashkin - Fotolia

Numbers

Leo Chung, Tech Writer

For any of you math-doing folks out there doing any sort of math, it’s important to know what you are doing. One of the best ways to indicate that you DO know what you are doing is usually getting the right answer. However, sometimes that isn’t immediately available.

You have a problem, you did it, and now you want to find out if you are right. Luckily, the internet provides us with two incredibly useful websites. These got me through Mr. Mazaheri’s Algebra II/Trigonometry class relatively unscathed. They helped me quickly understand what was being taught, allowing me to excel on his tests.

The first website being showcased is the all-helpful:

https://www.symbolab.com/

Yes, the almighty Symbolab Math Solver. From basic arithmetic to advanced calculus, this handy website takes any equation and solves it, giving you the answer.

All you need to do is simply enter an equation. Symbols like infinity or absolute value are provided in the box above, where clicking it inserts it into your equation.

But for earnest learners, the answer is simply not enough for grasping a concept.

This is the reason why Symbolab also provides steps for solving each equation. It details every step it makes, helping you learn how the answer was made.

The second website being showcased is:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator

Math isn’t all just numbers and letters but it’s also represented in graphs. As you move on to higher and higher levels of math, graphs quickly become important as you need to frequently graph functions, inequalities, and such. This website accomplishes this task for you as you simply need to input a function.

As you can see from the picture, it can graph and shade when you’re working with inequalities. It can graph parabolas, circles, and more complex graphs.

Hopefully, these websites will make it a lot easier for you to figure out problems you are stuck on. Good luck and be proactive in your education!

About the Writer
Leo Chung, Staff Writer

Hello, my name is Leo Chung. I enjoy eating ludicrous amounts of rice and hot dogs. I enjoy making various helpful thought-provoking films such as How...

1 Comment

One Response to “Math Helpers”

1. Susan on October 19th, 2017 10:07 pm

Great ideas, Leo! You are so right about Desmos! May I add these resources: Wolfram Algebra Course Assistant (great solutions and explanations), Algebra Genie, and, of course, Khan Academy. There are plenty of apps available that can. help students master graphic and symbol rich topics even without a personal graphing calculator…very helpful for those matrix workouts! Remember youtube has videos to help you learn to use the clunky TI-83s; very helpful if you don’t have a big calculator of your own at home. And (drumroll, please): Afterschool Tutoring in the Library, Monday through Thursday! See you there.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Math Helpers

Student Life

Muscle Cars at PV

• Math Helpers

Student Life

The Day of the Dead – A celebration of life in death

• Math Helpers

Student Life

Service Learning Credit

• Math Helpers

Student Life

Recommendation: Academic Diary

• Math Helpers

Student Life

Get Organized!

• Math Helpers

Student Life

My Journey Through the State Capitol

• Math Helpers

Student Life

Student Selected Playlist (Week #1)

• Math Helpers

Student Life

Speak With Power

• Math Helpers

Student Life

5 Last-Minute Ways to Get Your Grades Up

• Math Helpers

Student Life

Warning: Pet Peeves

Skip to toolbar
The Student News Site of Pinole Valley High School
Math Helpers