Spartan Ink

The 2017 Major League Baseball Series

Deven Irwin

The 2017 Major League Baseball World Series is currently underway with the Los Angeles Dodgers vs. the Houston Astros. The series is split 1-1 with the first two games being a well matched pitcher’s duel. Game 1’s pitchers were Clayton Kershaw against Dallas Keuchel. In the first inning Kershaw showed that he meant business. Keuchel struggled on the mound as he gave up a 450ft solo homerun to Chris Taylor. After that mistake he found a groove throughout the game. Kershaw also giving up a homerun later in the game to Alex Bregman would dominate as he pitched seven innings, gave up one hit, and struck out eleven batters. The Dodgers would jump out to a 1-0 series lead after a game winning two-run homerun by Justin Turner and the final score being 3-1.

Game 2 also had real promise to be exciting. Another pitcher’s duel with Rich Hill for the Dodgers and Justin Verlander for the Astros. Just like in game one the Dodger’s pitcher looked very well through only four innings and was taken out of the game. Verlander was dealing only allowing two hits that were both homeruns and his team trailed 3-1. The Dodgers closer, Kenley Jansen, was put in at the 8th inning and was set up for a six-out save opportunity. The Astros struggled to get offense going on the road during the postseason but managed to get a run off the Dodgers closer. In the 9th inning Jansen was left to get three outs and gain a 2-0 series lead. Marwin Gonzalez would lead off the inning with a 0 out game-tying homerun.

In the 10th inning with the game still tied Jose Altuve, the potential American League MVP, hits a homerun to put the Astros up by one run. But it was still not over because the batter after, Carlos Correa, would also send one out of the park to put them up by two. The Dodgers did not back down though, Yasiel Puig would hit a homerun to keep the Dodger fans hopes alive, Logan Forsythe would reach first base on a walk and take second on a wild pitch. Kiké Hernandez hit a ground ball to the right fielder and would score the tying run. Hernandez would not score later in the inning but the Dodger dreams were still alive.

In the 11th inning pinch hitter, Cameron Maybin, would reach first base on a single. He would later steal second base to give the next hitter an opportunity to score him. Next to bat was George Springer, who was 2 for 4 already in the game. Springer would hit the go-ahead 2-run homerun for the 7-5 lead. In the bottom of the 11th the Dodgers had their backs against the wall. They still found a way to fight back and what seemed like another comeback. Charlie Culberson, the pinch hitter, hit a long homerun into the left field bleachers. That would be the only run they get that inning and the series was tied at 1 game.

The next game is on Friday in Houston with Yu Darvish pitching for the Dodgers, and Lance McCullers for the Astros. I’m sure this will be an exciting game to watch. Who do you have winning the World Series?