Echosmith redefine their sound with ‘Lonely Generation’.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The cover of Echosmith’s second studio album, ‘Lonely Generation’.

Echosmith

Echosmith

Echosmith

Mason Montano, Music Editor

American indie pop band Echosmith originally formed in February 2009 as a quartet; comprised of siblings Sydney, Noah, Graham, and Jamie Sierota; but now exist as a trio due to the absence of Jamie, who departed the group in January 2016 to raise his newborn child.

Their career began on YouTube, where they posted covers of popular songs before signing to Warner Bros. Records and releasing their debut EP, Summer Sampler, in June 2013 and their debut album, Talking Dreams, later that October. 

The band rose to mainstream prominence the following year when Talking Dreams was reissued alongside the re-release of the single, “Cool Kids”, which remains their biggest hit to date, peaking at no. 13 on the Billboard Hot 100 in September 2014.

Echosmith began promoting their sophomore record in summer 2017, releasing several singles and performing at various events until it was announced that both the album and its accompanying tour would be delayed until spring 2018, and on the record’s original release date of September 29, an EP including their previously released singles, titled Inside a Dream, was released in its place.

“Over My Head” was released as the new lead single in March 2018, pushing the record back again to the summer, however, no album ever surfaced, and the band spent the remainder of the year touring while working on new material.

After a two-year delay, numerous standalone singles, and ending their contract with Warner Bros. to become an independent artist, Echosmith finally released their second studio album, Lonely Generation, in early January.

Representing the band’s growth over the six-year period since Talking Dreams, with improved vocals, songwriting, instrumentation, and an overall more refined and mature sound, Lonely Generation is an indie rock record with strong hints of country pop and pop rock, giving it a light and airy feel with soft, guitar-based production and heavenly vocals.

The album predominantly features the theme of romance, likely inspired by lead singer Sydney’s recent marriage to American pop rock band Allstar Weekend member Cameron Quiseng in March 2019, with songs like “Follow You” showcasing the devotion one has for their partner and “Shut Up and Kiss Me” describing the passion of a budding relationship when talk is cheap and intimacy is everything.

Aside from love, Lonely Generation also touches on youth culture and self-empowerment. The lead single and title track is a commentary on Millenials, expressing concern for their dependence on technology using personal experience, and “Diamonds” is an empowering reminder of one’s self-worth that tells the story of an insecure young woman described as “a diamond in a sea of pearls” who has the potential to “save the world”.

The story on “Diamonds” could be a loose continuation of the one explored on “Cool Kids”, with the latter introducing the insecure woman and the former showing her evolution as she finds her worth. “Diamonds” symbolizes growth, and Echosmith has definitely grown a great deal since “Cool Kids”.

Lonely Generation is available now across all online and streaming platforms.

Stream Lonely Generation on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6DT9TEg5f9j7WVarEXemYY?si=qNH05lxdRvmgBI7CNxPBLQ

Watch the music video for “Diamonds”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbNxbAO9wzc

Echosmith
The members of Echosmith; (from left to right); Graham Sierota, Sydney Sierota, and Noah Sierota in the music video for “Diamonds”.