Alexandra Savior breaks free with ‘The Archer’.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The cover of Alexandra Savior's second studio album, 'The Archer'.

30th Century Records

30th Century Records

30th Century Records

Mason Montano, Music Editor

American singer-songwriter Alexandra Savior first received public attention in September 2012 when a cover of Australian singer-songwriter Angus Stone’s “Big Jet Plane” that she had posted on YouTube was noticed by American singer and grunge icon Courtney Love.

After graduating high school the following June, Savior signed a contract with Columbia Records, canceling her plans to attend art school and moving to Los Angeles, California to pursue a career in music. She released her debut single, “Shades”, in June 2016, and despite her debut album, Belladonna of Sadness, having been completed since June 2015, it was delayed for several years before finally arriving in April 2017.

In June 2019, Savior released “Crying All the Time” as the lead single from her sophomore record and her first release with her new label, 30th Century Records, as she had been dropped from Columbia the year prior over creative differences. 

In an interview with Billboard, she shed more light on these differences, explaining: 

“I was very young and naive when I first left home and came into the music industry. I think I was prey for a lot of those sort of characters to come in and control what I was doing. I never felt I was being seen for who I was; I was being seen for what they could push me into and what was most sellable.”

Her disputes with Columbia resulted in the delayed release of Belladonna of Sadness as well as the restrictions put on her freedom to tour for the record, and with a new label, full creative control, and a new producer behind her, Alexandra Savior released her second studio album, The Archer, in early January, entering the new decade ready to show a more authentic and empowered version of herself.

Written during a particularly low period in her life, as she dealt with being dropped from her label on top of coming out of an abusive relationship, The Archer is a predominantly indie rock record with elements of folk, jazz, and blue-eyed soul weaved into its overall eerie atmosphere that creates a feeling of discomfort within the listener, especially on tracks like the fourth single, “Howl”, on which Savior details her experience in the aforementioned abusive relationship.

She opened up about her feelings during this time in the Billboard interview:

“I wrote from a place of being rejected and confused, insecure and angry and depressed. But I was writing about me, and I think creatively there was a weight lifted off of me and I feel like so much has opened up to me.”

The relationship is explored in more depth on “Crying All the Time” — a personal account of the way Savior felt in said relationship, revealing that all she did was cry when her partner was around, and even after she had gotten herself away from him, she was still crying from all the emotional abuse.

The Archer closes with the third single and title track, which acts as Savior’s moment of clarity as she reflects on everything she’s been through over the past few years. Having previously found herself in the middle of a toxic relationship, she is now able to recognize the signs of abuse and prevent herself from making the same mistakes she made in the past, coming full circle from where she was at the beginning of the record.

The Archer is available now across all online and streaming platforms.

Stream The Archer on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6LbyR5pthd2ao8QwxzLtV8?si=uCpnmcGmR2i0XhRSgEeoRw 

Watch the music video for “Crying All the Time”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZAw9j1u3CM

30th Century Records
Savior in the music video for “Crying All the Time”.