Alexandra Savior breaks free with ‘The Archer’.

30th Century Records

The cover of Alexandra Savior’s second studio album, ‘The Archer’.

Mason Montano, Music Editor

American singer-songwriter Alexandra Savior first received public attention in September 2012 when a YouTube video of herself singing Australian singer-songwriter Angus Stone’s “Big Jet Plane” was noticed by American singer-songwriter and actress Courtney Love, and after graduating high school the following June, she signed a contract with Columbia Records, canceling her plans to attend art school and moving to Los Angeles, California to pursue a music career.

She released her debut single, “Shades”, in June 2016, and although her debut album, Belladonna of Sadness, had been completed since June 2015, it was delayed for several years before finally arriving in April 2017.

In June 2019, Savior released “Crying All the Time” as the lead single from her sophomore record and her first release with her new label, 30th Century Records, as she had been dropped from Columbia the year prior over creative differences. 

In an interview with Billboard, she shed more light on these conflicts, explaining: 

“I was very young and naive when I first left home and came into the music industry. I think I was prey for a lot of those sort of characters to come in and control what I was doing. I never felt I was being seen for who I was; I was being seen for what they could push me into and what was most sellable.”

Her disputes with Columbia resulted in the delayed release of Belladonna of Sadness along with strict restrictions that severely limited her freedom to tour for the record, and with a new label and full creative control, Alexandra Savior released her second studio album, The Archer, in early January, entering the new decade ready to show a more authentic and empowered version of herself.

Written during a particularly low period of her life, as she dealt with being dropped from her label on top of coming out of an abusive relationship, The Archer is a predominantly desert rock record with elements of folk, jazz, and blue-eyed soul weaved into its overall eerie atmosphere, creating a feeling of discomfort within the listener, especially on tracks like the fourth single, “Howl”, on which Savior details her experience in the aforementioned relationship.

She opened up about her feelings during this time in the Billboard interview as well:

“I wrote from a place of being rejected and confused, insecure and angry and depressed. But I was writing about me, and I think creatively there was a weight lifted off of me and I feel like so much has opened up to me.”

The relationship is explored in more depth on “Crying All the Time” — a personal account of the way that Savior felt in said relationship, revealing that all she did was cry when her partner was around, and even after she had gotten herself away from him, she was still crying due to all of the abuse.

The Archer closes with the third single and title track, which acts as Savior’s moment of clarity as she reflects on everything that she’s been through over the past few years. Having previously found herself in the middle of a toxic relationship, she is now able to recognize the signs of abuse and prevent herself from making the same mistakes that she made in the past, coming full circle from where she was at the beginning of the record.

Alexandra Savior has broken free of both the chains of her former label and the iron grip of an abusive ex-lover on The Archer, which is available now across all online and streaming platforms.

Stream The Archer on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6LbyR5pthd2ao8QwxzLtV8?si=V1PLezb0RvaHq3MO_JEmIw 

Watch the music video for “Crying All the Time”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZAw9j1u3CM 

Savior in the music video for “Crying All the Time”.

This article was originally published in January 2020 and later revised in May 2020.