Sabrina Carpenter enters adulthood with ‘Singular’.

Hollywood Records

Sabrina Carpenter as she appears in the press release photos for 'Singular: Act II'.

Mason Montano, Music Editor

American singer-songwriter and actress Sabrina Carpenter is best known for starring in the Disney Channel original series Girl Meets World, a spin-off of the classic ABC sitcom Boy Meets World, which ran from June 2014 through January 2017. 

She entered the music scene in April 2014 with her debut EP, Can’t Blame a Girl for Trying, followed by her debut album, Eyes Wide Open, in April 2015 and her chart-topping sophomore record, EVOLution, in October 2016.

While originally developed as a single album, Carpenter’s third project, Singular, was released in two parts due to a difference in lyrical content, with Act I dropping in November 2018 as her third studio album, and Act II arriving in mid-July as her fourth.

She explained this decision in more detail during an interview on the Zach Sang Show:

“After I wrote Singular, which was one album initially, it became two albums over time. I describe Act II as Act I upside down where Act I makes you feel comfortable with yourself and Act II makes you feel a little uncomfortable with yourself, in the way that we need in order to grow. It’s that and it’s also a more vulnerable side of confidence. There is also confidence in being vulnerable and there is also strength in that weaker side of yourself and just kind of letting your emotions run loose.”

As a whole, Singular continues the dance and electro pop style that first appeared on EVOLution and sports similar mature lyrical content; including romance, self-empowerment, mental health, and growing up.

The former two are the predominant themes of Act I, and the lead single, “Almost Love”, opens the record with heavy electro pop beats and seductive vocals — a different sound compared to any of Carpenter’s previous singles and a strong introduction to the era.

The song details a courtship between two people who are just shy of being in love that are ready to take their relationship to the next level, and the music video is sexy and opulent, taking place in a luxurious mansion and featuring glamorous shots of Carpenter in stunning red lipstick. 

The closing track, “Diamonds Are Forever”, is a soulful declaration of self-love, and Carpenter lets the listener know that she’s fully aware of her worth, asserting that she is a diamond and that diamonds are forever.

Act II, on the other hand, is a lot more personal and explores themes relating to mental health and growing up. 

The third single, “In My Bed”, is an intimate look into Carpenter’s struggle with depression, revealing how the little things can be enough to confine her to bed and how sometimes all she really needs is to be left alone, which is virtually impossible when you’re a major pop star.

The second single, “Exhale”, is a tearful confession of how overwhelming it can be having to balance fame and life’s responsibilities at such a young age Carpenter has been in the public eye since she was 12 — and she described it as being one the most difficult songs for her to sing without getting emotional. She almost didn’t release it due to its highly personal nature, but after positive encouragement from her fans, she ultimately decided to include it on Act II.

While she may have had to grow up fast, Sabrina Carpenter has done it flawlessly, and now that her journey to adulthood has finally come to an end, it’s all up from here for the rising pop diva.

Singular: Act I and Singular: Act II are available now across all online and streaming platforms.

Stream Singular: Act I on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/29mlGxS6kxq1EHxlX1EAZK?si=cL95DyqlSTyB3iQhWjHXWA 

Stream Singular: Act II on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/19KilSbbeHRFFZM7ChwTdP?si=N6VxFlQ7T8eEOuInX6W_Kw 

Watch the music video for “Almost Love”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JudqK1hL18w 

Watch the music video for “In My Bed”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN3bTP84GCU 

This article was revised in April 2020.