ieuan purges himself of the past with ‘SWEET BOY’.

ieuan

The cover of ieuan’s second extended play, ‘SWEET BOY’.

Mason Montano, Music Editor

Born in San Francisco but now based in London, American singer-songwriter ieuan is a prime example of the California Bay Area’s incredibly talented Queer artists.

He started his career in 2014 when he was 15 years old by putting out music independently on SoundCloud, dropping his debut mixtape, Songs About Boys, Probably, Vol. 1, in January 2015 followed by his debut album, Pink Suburbia, in September 2016; his sophomore record, Saint California, in May 2017; his debut EP, Please Stop Talking, in February 2018; and his third album, Over the Garden Wall, in September 2018.

In July 2019, ieuan released a compilation comprised of his favorite songs that he’s released since 2016 titled TECHNICOLOUR VOL. 1 on streaming platforms, as the entirety of his early work remains exclusive to SoundCloud, and promised new music before the end of the year.

His song “VIRTUAL REALITY” would arrive in August 2019 as the lead single from his then-upcoming second EP, CHILDSTAR, that while initially planned to have been released later that year, was replaced with his official second EP, SWEET BOY, in mid-March of this year.

SWEET BOY is a trap, emo pop, and indie pop-inspired record about heartbreak with melodic vocals and smooth production that add an intimate feel to the project.

The title track opens the EP on a dark, unsettling note with lyrics that, according to ieuan in an Instagram post, tell a fictional story from the perspective of someone who accidentally killed their boyfriend but doesn’t remember doing it, however, this tale could also be a metaphor for making a fatal decision in a relationship that results in your partner leaving you while possibly under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, thus why you can’t remember doing so.

Regardless of its true meaning, knowing the concept adds a new layer of mystery and concern to the song’s already eerie atmosphere and sets the tone for the succeeding tracks.

The lead single, “KEY YOUR CAR”, is an angry message to an ex-partner on which ieuan threatens to key their car if he catches them dating someone else that serves as a contrast to his actual personality, as the actions depicted in the lyrics are the complete opposite of how he is in real life, and although it’s a fun, upbeat pop track, the melody sounds a bit dated, which is a little off-putting, but it’s a cute song overall.

Moving on to the non-singles “WOE ME!” and “SO GONE”, the former is a blissful ode to adolescence, and the latter is an emotional trap-ballad about falling in love with your best friend that sees ieuan likening the memories that he shares with this person to a temporary high. Both tracks present a different side of nostalgia, with one being positive and uplifting while the other is sad and mournful, reflecting his complicated relationship with the past. 

SWEET BOY closes with the explosive second single, “GOODBYE!” — an in-your-face trap banger about cutting off a toxic ex that represents liberation as ieuan purges them from his heart, thus providing himself with room to heal and allowing himself to move on once and for all.

Upon the EP’s release, ieuan confirmed that he’s already working on his fourth full-length record, which is due for release later this year, but in the meantime, SWEET BOY is available now across all online and streaming platforms.

Stream SWEET BOY on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7nF3skp7qyDFA4ahkbG0k2?si=oiSIbF_pQ9-XmEcQ2ywKVQ 

Watch the music video for “KEY YOUR CAR”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kDcLROJgmU

ieuan in the music video for “KEY YOUR CAR”.