POP 9-1-1: Megan Thee Stallion x Beyoncé and Doja Cat x Nicki Minaj save 2020 with the “Savage” and “Say So” remixes.

1501 Certified Entertainment, 300 Entertainment / Kemosabe Records, RCA Records

The covers of Megan Thee Stallion x Beyoncé’s remix of “Savage” and Doja Cat x Nicki Minaj's remix of "Say So".

Mason Montano, Music Editor

ATTENTION! THIS IS A POP 9-1-1! MEGAN THEE STALLION X BEYONCÉ AND DOJA CAT X NICKI MINAJ ARE COMING TO SAVE 2020 WITH THE “SAVAGE” AND “SAY SO” REMIXES!

Over the past year, American rapper and singer-songwriter Doja Cat and American rapper and songwriter Megan Thee Stallion have risen as breakout stars on the mainstream music scene and found further success earlier this year when fan-created dance challenges for their songs “Say So” and “Savage”, respectively, went viral on TikTok.

“Say So” first appeared on the former’s sophomore album, Hot Pink, in November 2019 as a tribute to the disco era with an infectious beat, a catchy hook, and a heavenly vocal performance that gives it intense replay value; and “Savage” initially debuted on the latter’s third EP, Suga, in early March as a sharp, tongue-in-cheek self-empowerment anthem full of confidence, spice, and sass that helped make it a standout track from the project.

Both bops were fan-favorite deep cuts, and neither were originally intended to be released as singles, however, after going viral, “Say So” peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Doja’s first top 10 hit, and is currently the most-streamed song of 2020 by a female artist in the United States; and “Savage” peaked at #4, making it Megan’s first top 10 hit in the United States as well.

This week, just when you thought that these songs couldn’t get any better, Megan and Doja continued their take over of the music industry with the release of official “Savage” and “Say So” remixes featuring two of the most iconic names in modern music: The Queen herself, Beyoncé, and Trinidadian rapper and singer-songwriter Nicki Minaj, respectively. 2020 is saved!

The “Savage” remix dropped on Wednesday with no prior announcement — a release tactic for which Beyoncé has become notorious for using ever since she stopped the world in December 2013 when she dropped her highly anticipated self-titled fifth album out of absolutely nowhere — and caught both Megan and Bey’s fans completely off-guard.

Usually when an artist teams up with one of their peers for a remix, not much about the original track changes aside from an added verse or two from the featured artist — but not in this case. Megan and Bey completely rewrote the song to create a refreshing reinvention of an already classic banger, extending it from around two-and-a-half minutes to just shy of four! We are being fed!

Keeping with the braggadocious theme of the original “Savage”, the remix opens with Beyoncé, who is present throughout the entire song and delivers three epic verses that unexpectedly reference both TikTok and the pornographic subscription content service OnlyFans, and aside from the chorus, Megan delivers two verses that interpolate lyrics from the original version but mainly include new material. 

Beyoncé also contributes expertly placed ad-libs and backing vocals that enhance the song’s dominating vibe and make the track even more enjoyable. 

All proceeds from the remix will benefit the COVID-19 relief efforts of Bread of Life Houston, which will provide over 14 tons of food and supplies to 500 families and 100 senior citizens in and around Houston, Texas every week, so make sure to buy and stream!

The “Say So” remix was released today following an announcement earlier this week and keeps the same structure as the original song, for the most part, aside from omitting the first verse and replacing it with one from Minaj, who also provided a bridge and an outro, while additionally sporting a slick beat change on the first verse as well.

Although the original “Say So” is about wanting someone to confess their love to you, Minaj’s lyrics largely depart from this concept and instead see her rapping about the current state of the world and her personal life in addition to taking shots at her critics, resulting in some of her lines feeling out of place, especially when paired up against Doja’s.

Interestingly, an older version of the remix leaked in late April with a different first verse that thematically makes more sense than that of the final version, however, the leak prompted Minaj to rewrite her part, resulting in the version that we have today.

Either way, it’s still a solid remix and a fun reimagining of another instant classic that’s bound to be a hit.

In a music industry plagued by delays and cancellations due to COVID-19, April has been a slow, somewhat dry month with a few exceptions, and Megan Thee Stallion x Beyoncé and Doja Cat x Nicki Minaj are coming to save 2020 with these two legendary remixes, which are available now across all online and streaming platforms.

UPDATE: One week after the “Say So” remix dropped, Doja and Minaj officially released the original version across all online and streaming platforms.

UPDATE 2: Both remixes eventually peaked at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100; earning Megan, Doja, and Minaj their first #1 hit singles in addition to making music history, as this was the first time that four Black women simultaneously occupied the top spots on the Hot 100 since the chart’s creation in November 1955.

Stream the “Savage” remix on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6M4VOF1ExBRii1x20Pk0GR?si=2sWNOo0lTkWYv8NJiCHafg 

Stream the “Say So” remix on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/2cpCmPs5Efp7w7Cv0LKcuG?si=7XusmarlQDSjb1eLuBbrAA

Stream the original “Say So” remix on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/45rLMkyqXDRsV6dOmCB035?si=FHxARZgWSRSUFynWGY1qEQ